Saturday 7 January 2023

Dungeon23 week 1

Continuing the dungeon23 plan, I've been laying out the districts and filling in some details for the city of Katravia.

I'm considering each layer of detail to count as one room - so the top layer "There is a city called Katravia" and its short description was what I covered in the first post, on Day 1, and over this first week, I've been digging down into more detail...

My next "room" is the next level of detail - the city of Katravia is made up of these districts:

Katravia's Districts

I've got slightly more districts than 1 per month, but that'll be fine - some of these will get merged into just a few "rooms".

To help keep my ideas organised, I made a generic template for locations, years ago - I'll be using that for Katravia.


Now the next set of "rooms" are at this layer of detail - for each of the districts on the overview, I'll be making a Location Brief, and drawing up a few ideas for buildings and other locations, with an area map to show how they relate.





Once I have all the districts briefed, I'll be moving on to those buildings - or if something grabs my attention on the day, I'll get straight into it! Like I did with the Theatre map in the Entertainers' Quarter for example.

I'm also aiming to keep the one-location-per-day ration as a guideline, but not necessarily follow it perfectly - I'll aim for a buffer of a few extra locations each month to allow myself to have off days!

All in all, I'm pleased with the initial progress - it's not going to be a publishable setting guide, but it's the sort of thing I can happily use for myself.

Meanwhile, I'll be updating and re-publishing some old RPG blog posts, and posting any other RPG thoughts and reviews that come to mind - so that this doesn't just become the Katravia blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Box Fate - Basics & Bodging

Part of the Red Box Fate series. That was a hell of lot of new rules to add if you're trying to "simplify things", right? Is a...